When speaking with your lender about a home mortgage, be sure you find a loan that fits your needs! Following are some questions you may wish to ask:
- What are the most popular home mortgage loans you make?
- Which type of mortgage plan do you think would best for us? Why?
- Are your rates, terms, fees, and closing costs negotiable?
- Will I have to buy private mortgage insurance? If so how much will it cost and how long will it be required? NOTE: Private mortgage insurance is usually required if you make less than a 20-percent down-payment, but most lenders will let you discontinue the policy when you’ve acquired a certain amount of equity by paying down the loan.
- Who will service the loan? Your bank or another company?
- What escrow requirements do you have?
- How long is your loan lock-in period (the time that the quoted interest rate will be honored)? Will I be able to obtain a lower rate if they drop during this period?
- How long will the loan approval process take?
- How long will it take to close the loan?
- Are there any charges or penalties for prepaying the loan?
These are all excellent questions to ask regarding a home mortgage. It’s also a good plan to write your questions down before your appointment with your lender.
If you would like to comment on this post, feel free to send me an email. Thanks!